Try this mouth-watering new recipe from the The Sunshine Palate test kitchen. This cake is a tasty blend of fresh apples with a light touch of cinnamon and heightened with a tangy lemon topping. It’s sure to become a favorite recipe.
FRESH APPLE CAKE
Chef’s Hint: Recommended apples are Braeburn, Fuji, or Gala.
½ cup shortening ½ teaspoon salt
1¼ cups sugar ½ teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1¼ cups cake flour 4 cups apples diced, unpeeled (2-3 apples)
1 cup flour 1 cup raisins
2 teaspoons baking soda ½ cup pecans, chopped
- Cream shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs; beat until a pale yellow color, about three minutes.
- Sift flours, baking soda, salt, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Add apples, raisins and pecans to creamed mixture.
- Slowly add sifted ingredients to wet mixture.
- Turn into a greased and floured 10 inch springform pan.
- Bake at 350º for 50-55 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Cool 10 minutes. Place lemon topping on cake.
FRESH LEMON TOPPING
Chef’s Hint: Add beaten egg very gradually to the lemon mixture or it will cook too
quickly causing the topping to be lumpy.
½ cup sugar Rind of one lemon, grated
1 cup water Juice of one lemon
2 tablespoons cornstarch 1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon butter
- In a small sauce pan mix sugar and cornstarch.
- Slowly add water. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Add lemon rind, lemon juice and butter. Cook 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Very slowly add egg a spoonful at a time. Cook 1-2 minutes.
- Spoon over warm cake.
- Refrigerate at least three hours before serving.